10/14/2003

Boycott Episode III

Oceania was at war with Eastasia: Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia. A large part of the political literature of five years was now completely obsolete. Reports and records of all kinds, newspapers, books, pamphlets, films, sound-tracks, photographs -- all had to be rectified at lightning speed. Although no directive was ever issued, it was known that the chiefs of the Department intended that within one week no reference to the war with Eurasia, or the alliance with Eastasia, should remain in existence anywhere.


That's it. I've had enough of the contempt that George Lucas has, not just for Star Wars fans, but for the very films that have shaped our imaginations even as they fattenned his pocketbook. This story from AICN, about how Lucas won't even allow the original 1977 Star Wars to be screened at the Century of Cinema festival, is just the latest in along string of outrages, whereby Lucas has with Orwellian precision sought to erase all evidence that the original Star Wars films ever existed.

I won't take it anymore.

I am boycotting Star Wars Episode III. I know Anakin turns into Vader. I know that Palpatine is Darth Sidious. I know that Yoda kicks ass with a lightsaber. I don't really need to watch the movie - especially not when I have The Lord of the Rings and the Matrix trilogies to anticipate.

And I'm saying this as someone who waited all day in line to score tickets to Episode 1 for opening day.

I've got my Classic Trilogy VHS tapes in widescreen - the true versions of these films that I will always love. I don't need Star Wars beyond those three tapes. And unless Lucas releases them in their true and original glory on DVD, there isn't any point in doing business with the Lucas Greed machine.

And if he refuses? then Star Wars is dead. and good riddance.

No comments: