2/07/2007

Quotes on Imam Husain AS

Brian has a detailed post about Ashura observances in Bahrain. In the course of the post he mentioned a quote about Imam Husain AS by Mahatma Gandhi; I was motivated by this to go looking for other quotations on Imam Husain and the sacrifice at Karbala by other notable persons. I have reprinted a few of the more interesting ones below.

"The best lesson which we get from the tragedy of Karbala is that Husain and his companions were rigid believers in God. They illustrated that the numerical superiority does not count when it comes to the truth and the falsehood. The victory of Husain, despite his minority, marvels me!" -- Thomas Carlyle

"In a distant age and climate, the tragic scene of the death of Hosein will awaken the sympathy of the coldest reader." -- Edward Gibbon

"I learnt from Hussein how to achieve victory while being oppressed." -- Mahatma Gandhi

"If Husain had fought to quench his worldly desires…then I do not understand why his sister, wife, and children accompanied him. It stands to reason therefore, that he sacrificed purely for Islam." -- Charles Dickens

4 comments:

Brian Ulrich said...

These are the four quotes from the cover of my IAC flyer!

Aziz P. said...

the same ones? I found them in a PDF file from somewhere online. I bet it was the same flyer :) But there were a bunch of other ones too, that I omitted.

Aziz P. said...

BTW Brian, I think you should make plans next year for Ashura to come to wherever the Bohras hold their observances. This year it was in Colombo; I wasnt there myself, but am planning to go next year. We never know until last minute where the Syedna TUS will choose as the venue. No one does Ashura like we do :)

Brian Ulrich said...

Yeah, on the inside were some lesser quotes, and quotes from Hussein hismelf. I'll keep an eye on the Bohras, but haven't the foggiest idea what continent I'll even be on next year, and after that Ashura starts cutting across Christmas.