4/01/2002


I saw the Andromeda episode "Bunker Hill" on Saturday. It was about freedom, and the need to struggle, and even a little about self-sacrifice (to the extent of "martyr" and "suicide", even). This reminds me of the entire Narn-Centauri story arc in Babylon 5.

I think if more of the world read/watched science fiction, there would be a lot more debate about public policy, and a lot more people would hold our media to account for its failure to give information to the public, unsullied by market forces.

Certainly people get a lot less rigid in their obstinate support of one side or another, and their refusal to consider information that might challenge their perception, if they see something in abstract terms. If I say, "The Narn had every right to rebel against the Centauri, but learned the worst lessons of their oppressors", it is easy to start a debate. If you replace Narn or Centauri with Palestinian, Jew, or Nazi in the sentence (mix and match as you will) - the central issue and principles become obscured.

David Dugan sends this link. One Man, One Vote, One Country. That's a principle that I agree with. But do I agree with this? I dont know. Right now, no. But it challenged my assumptions quite powerfully. I need to think about it.

No comments: