4/29/2006

Know Hope

Michael Totten, having spent several months traveling in Arab countries, arrived in Israel. While there he met Lisa Goldman, a journalist for the Guardian. I was especially struck by her comments thus:

Sometimes the Middle East feels like it’s drowning in bigotry, hate, and stupidity. But hate is not the only human emotion in that part of the world, even between Arabs and Jews.

Lisa is a liberal. Not the Bush-hating idiot variety, but the kind of brave person who continues to believe in the world no matter what kind of hell it throws at her. She spends a lot of time in the West Bank and Gaza even though the people who live in those places just replaced Yasser Arafat’s Fatah regime with Hamas.

“I have Palestinian friends who say things I don’t like at all,” she said. “They say they want to destroy Israel, that it has no right to exist.”

“How can you be friends with people like that?” I said.

“Because I know the difference between rhetoric and reality,” she said.

“Threats from the West Bank aren’t just rhetoric,” I said. “How many suicide bombings did you say you’ve seen?”

“These people will never hurt me,” she said. “They are my friends. They love me. And when I say love, I do not mean that lightly.”

I thought about that, and I thought about why someone might want to reach out and forge such seemingly-impossible friendships with people who declare themselves enemies. There’s a lot more behind it than a yearning for peace and the standard liberal can’t-we-all-just-get-along point of view. It strikes me, partly, as an emotional survival technique. I, for one, would not be able to tolerate living in Israel if I did not have Palestinian friends who could balance out the restless hate from some of the others. (I'd also like to have them as friends for the usual reasons, of course.)

“How can they be friends with you?” I said.

“That’s the real question, isn’t it?” she said.


As Lisa points out, propaganda requires dehumanization. But meeting another human being face to face makes people real. Part of the solution to the problem of hatred is fewer barriers to these basic human interactions, not more. Ultimately, Lisa and others like her are true heroes of a kind.

But what struck me even more was this basic expression of optimism in the form of recurring grafitti throughout Tel Aviv: Know Hope. There's a whole set on Flickr of these, and Michael has some good ones in his post as well. As he comments,

One of the most common spray-painted slogans in Tel Aviv says Know Hope. I don’t know who wrote it or why. Does it even matter? Israel is a stressful angst-inducing place. Not compared with Baghdad, for sure, but definitely compared with Egypt, Lebanon, and Northern Iraq. I felt better every time I saw it painted on walls. Know Hope. Those two simple words are so much more poignant in a place like Israel where the current (relative) lack of violence is almost certainly only a lull. Actual peace is well on the other side of the horizon.

Hope is precious and hard in Israel now. Hamas is taking over the reins of power in Palestine. The old Fatah regime was hideously corrupt and destructive. Some Palestinians, I am sure, voted for Hamas as a protest against Arafatism. Even so, terrorists officially rule the West Bank and Gaza with the consent of the governed.

And yet - and yet - the Israelis voted in a center-left government as a response. For a while there Israel wanted a man in power who was just a big fist. Until the second intifada broke out, Ariel Sharon - the Butcher of Beirut - was considered marginal and extreme by Israelis as well as by almost everyone else in the world. Yet they swung hard to the right and picked him to lead.

I wouldn’t say Israel has since swung hard to the left. But the Labor Party did receive one and a half times as many votes as Likud in the general election last month. Wielding a big fist no longer seems necessary whether it actually was in the first place or not. The intifada is more or less over. Brutal Israeli crackdowns in the territories are likewise more or less over. That may not be enough to feel hope, but it’s something.

Seeing Israel and Palestine for myself as they really are makes me slightly more hopeful than I was before I got there. The standard narrative of the conflict is a cartoon. Upon closer inspection, it’s a lot more complicated. And it’s a lot more interesting, too.

It may look like a never-ending and unresolvable death struggle with Arabs and Palestinians on one side, Israelis and Jews on the other. But people like Lisa and her Palestinian friends can’t be crudely reduced to that level. And we’re talking here about Palestinians who say they do want to destroy Israel, not just the liberals and the moderates who say they don't.

2 comments:

Aziz P. said...

ok, joshua, I will respond to you. The reason I don't engage you in debate is because I feel that you betrayed my trust. It's you specifically that I choose not to engage in debate.

Mike N, in stark contrast, took the time to email me and listen to my grievance and even made a rather sincere apology. It was a noble gesture and frankly I am now indebted to him because I still haven't had time to reply to his outreach. (Mike - it was sincerely appreciated.)

But even then, I dont have time to really engage in debates like we used to have on UNMEDIA and I am not really even interested to be honest. I just blog to express my opinion. I have way more fun anime-blogging and participating in online communities.

So even if you, Joshua, were to suddenly reverse the attitude you've had for years on my blog and suddenl;y start treating me with respect - and also make a genuine apology for the great insult and betrayal you visited upon me - I probably wtill wouldn't reply to you much. Not out of spite, but because I don't care.

Maybe there's a good argument here for turning off blog comments entirely, since I am not really paying attention. I'll think about it.

BTW Joshua you've still not even taken the simple step of creating your own blog - something Mike N did a long time ago to his credit. You're still a parasite on other people's commentary. If you want to be taken seriously then you need to finally get out there on your own. Thats not just for me, but for any other blog you frequent. Do you get any respect at LGF?

Aziz P. said...

how do you compare who won't even talk to those who are not your enemy and don't want to be your enemy?

You've never demonstrated to me that you don't want to be my enemy. The only reason you read my blog is to see if I say something that you can run to LGF with and point out what a islamist I secretly am.

Don't think that the last two comments are a new trend. I am putting you back in my Ignore Always and Probably Delete Henceforth If YOu annoy Me box. You know my email address and if you want to start fresh with me on a sincere foundation of mutual respect, you know what you need to do.